Before Restoration (2017)
After Restoration (2020)
Location: 14900 Interurban Ave South, Tukwila
This revegetation project is located on the left bank of the Green River at river mile 11.5 in the City of Tukwila. This revegetation project is a public-private partnership that restores 1,000 lineal feet and 29,000 square feet of steep shoreline behind the Southcenter Office Park. It is visible for the regional Green River Trail and Fort Dent Park, both directly across the river. Fort Dent Park is the home to Starfire Sports, home of the practice facility for the Seattle Sounders FC.
Project Lead : City of Tukwila
- Property Owner: L.D. Schneider & Associates
- Property Manager: JSH Properties Inc.
- Project Proponent: City of Tukwila
- Conservation Easement: King County
- Contractor: Applied Ecology, LLC
- Remove invasive species from the river bank
- Restore segments of the riverbank with native vegetation
- Provide shade along the river
- Involve private property owners along the Green/Duwamish River
- Beautify the shoreline for business park workers to enjoy
- Promote awareness about riparian restoration within the City
Progress to Date:
- Planting was completed in March of 2020
- Contractor currently watering and weeding about twice/month until contract expiration in early 2021
Future Plans: The City of Tukwila received a Re-green the Green Grant to continue maintenance for an additional year. That funding will provide water and invasive management through 2021. The objective is to provide maintenance for the first 10 years.
Questions? Contact Mike Perfetti, City of Tukwila Habitat Project Manager
Funding for this project is provided by: